Location: Marine Institute, Oranmore, Galway
Start Date: 23/05/2013
End Date: 24/05/2013
The objective of this event was to provide a vision for enhanced cooperation on both
sides of the Atlantic and a set of jointly agreed priority actions to provide the means
to achieve these goals.
The Atlantic - A Shared Resource will focus on the Atlantic Strategy and associated Action Plan. Recognising the essential role of international partnership to achieve shared objectives and the potential of greater cooperation to advance our knowledge of the Atlantic Ocean, international partners are invited to contribute to tackling the challenges confronting the citizens of the North Atlantic coastal states.
Participants / Stakeholders
High Level Political representatives from the North Atlantic Coastal States and the European Commission will include:
- Mr Enda Kenny T.D., Taoiseach (Prime Minister of Ireland)
- Mr Simon Coveney T.D., the Irish Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine
- Ms Maria Damanaki, the EU Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
- Ms Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, the EU Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science
- Representatives from Canada
- Representatives from the EU Atlantic Coastal States
- Representatives from the United States of America
Leading Scientists, Representatives from Marine and Oceanographic Institutes, Funding Agencies, Research Performing Organisations and Industry.
Further details of the Atlantic Action Plan (2014-2020) were outlined by Commissioner Damanaki at the Irish-EU Presidency Event “The Atlantic – A Shared Resource”.
This conference is organised jointly by:
• The Marine Institute (Ireland) on behalf of the Irish Presidency and
• The European Commission, the Directorate-General Research and Innovation in close cooperation with the Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries and the Joint Research Centre.
Download the The Atlantic - A Shared Resource Programme (PDF, 835.2 KB).
Social Media Coverage:
EU Maritime Strategy for the Atlantic
EU-funded marine and maritime research
EU International Research Cooperation
Integrated Marine Plan for Ireland – Harnessing Our Ocean Wealth
Galway Statement on Atlantic Ocean Cooperation (PDF 559 KB)
Press Release: EU, U.S., Canada launch Atlantic Ocean research alliance in Galway issued Friday 24th May 2013