We simulate the ocean currents, tides, temperature and salinity structure using the state of the art ROMS model.
Snapshot of ROMS sea surface temperature during June 2002
The models incorporate the best sea bed bathymetry available. The circulation is driven by winds, heat fluxes and rainfall derived from NCEP GFS atmospheric model. Measurements of freshwater discharge from some 40 rivers are included in the simulations. Our models are embedded into a much larger scale North Atlantic model, MERCATOR to include variations in the North Atlantic Current. Tides are included, both at the model boundaries and by direct attraction by the sun and the moon on the water.
Work Currently Underway
● Run weekly model forecasts and display results
Regularly validate model against measured data
Tidal prediction of streams and elevation
● Sediment movement and deposition, light fields and characterisation of fronts for INFOMAR
● Model prediction of Harmful Algal Bloom occurrence
● Assimilation of data from tide gauges, CTD's and data buoys
● Integration of our models into the Iberia-Biscay-Ireland Regional Ocean Observing System