We are the Competent Authority for the implementation in Ireland of Council Directive 2006/88/EC , which deals with the health of aquaculture animals and the prevention and control of certain aquatic diseases. We are responsible for:
- Issuing Fish Health Authorisations (FHAs) for aquaculture production businesses.
- Assessment and management of imports, exports and internal movements of live aquatic animals.
- Registration of importers of ornamental fish.
- Registration of specialist transporters of aquaculture animals.
- Co-ordination of the national fish health surveillance programme.
For further details on our work as Competent Authority or to apply for any of the business services outlined above, please visit our dedicated fish health website.