The Marine Institute provides awards to promote appropriate networking and marine research communication activities that support the Irish marine research community. The awards are designed as a small-scale, flexible scheme to support networking and marine research communication initiatives in the marine sector. During 2021 the Networking Awards provide funding for hosting/attendance at virtual events only. The Marine Institute therefore expects that applications in 2021 will focus on Open Access Publications, media-productions and virtual events (conferences, workshops and training courses). Grant support is provided in the following categories:
A. Hosting Workshops & Conferences
This award provides support for the organisation of national/international Marine Conferences or Workshops held in Ireland. 2021 Awards focus on funding towards virtual workshops and conferences.
B. Researcher Awards
This award provides funding to:
- Present papers/posters at international conferences/workshops.
- Undertake a Working Visit to an international research institution.
- Attend a marine-related training course.
C. Marine Research Communication
This award provides funding towards:
- Open Access Publication Costs to disseminate marine research findings.
- Preparation and dissemination of research outputs focusing on communication research impact.
- Media production costs depicting and promoting marine research in Ireland.
- Facilitate short outward visits from Ireland for technology transfer and other networking activities by SMEs and NGOs.
- Facilitate short outward visits from Ireland to attend pre-application meetings.
- Facilitate short inward visits from overseas experts to a host organisation in Ireland.
Specifically funding is awarded for:
- Post-Graduate Students, Early Stage Post-Doctoral Researchers and Research Assistants to present their marine research to an international audience, network with international marine experts and disseminate research carried out in Ireland on the global stage.
- Networking opportunities including support for hosting virtual marine conferences / workshops held in Ireland
- Open Access Publication costs relevant to marine research carried out under the themes outlined in the National Marine Research & Innovation strategy 2017-2021.
- Short/small scale media productions promoting marine research in Ireland specific to a theme outlined in the National Marine R&I Strategy.
Total funded 2020 - €9,983 (2 Hosted Virtual Conferences/Workshops; 8 Virtual Travel Awards)
Total funded 2019 - €112,028 (15 Hosted Conferences/Workshops; 97 Travel Awards; 7 other awards)
Total funded 2018 - €96,143 (20 Hosted Conferences/Workshops; 83 Travel Awards; 7 other awards)
Total funded 2017 - €97,963 (8 Hosted Conferences/Workshops; 72 Travel Awards; 7 other awards)
Total funded 2016 - €67,555 (15 Hosted Conferences/Workshops; 55 Travel Awards; 7 other awards)
This scheme is funded by the Marine Institute under the Marine Research Programme with the support of the Irish Government.