The objective of the Marine Research Programme is to provide funding to the marine sector in Ireland that will:
- Build new research capacity and capability;
- Enable sharing of existing knowledge and technology transfer;
- Increase competitiveness and opportunities for sustainable economic growth;
- Protect and conserve marine resources;
- Inform public policy; and
- Increase public awareness of our maritime heritage.
The research priorities for 2014-2020 aim to support sustainable economic growth, promote innovation, protect marine ecosystems and inform policy, governance and regulation of the Irish marine sector. Project-Based Awards funded by the Marine Institute will provide assistance for appropriate research activities that support the goals of Harnessing Our Ocean Wealth, and/or address the objectives of other national and international marine strategies/plans, e.g.
- National Marine Research & Innovation Strategy 2017-2021
- Our Ocean Wealth Task Force Reports:
- Report of the Development Task Force
- Report of the Enablers Task Force on Marine Spatial Planning
- Food Wise 2025
- Innovation 2020
- EU Blue Growth
- EU Strategy for the Atlantic (2011) and
- EU Strategy for the Atlantic 2014-2020
The Marine Institute has provided funding to 20 Project-Based Awards between 2014 - 2019 to the value of €7.2m. Further details of the projects awarded, including details of the project outputs recorded to date are available from the following report: Marine Institute Funded Project-Based Awards - 2014-2019
A graph summary of funding awarded by research organisation is included below.
This scheme is funded by the Marine Institute under the Marine Research Programme with the support of the Irish Government. Please contact funding [at] marine [dot] ie for further information on this Programme.