The Marine Institute provides funding to SMEs through the Industry-Led Awards under the Marine Research Programme. The Industry-Led Awards provide assistance for appropriate research activities that support the goals of Harnessing Our Ocean Wealth and are in line with the research themes identified in the National Marine R&I Strategy. The Awards aim to fulfill national strategic objectives as follows:
- National Marine Research and Innovation Strategy 2017-2021 - Implementation of Action 8 Increase opportunities of SMEs to participate in marine research.
- Innovation 2020 - Action point 22.4 Optimising Enterprise RDI Supports.
The funding aims to:
- Support research and innovation costs for the development of innovative technologies, products ad services from existing or new marine-based business.
- Help marine companies to develop capacity, capability and their networks and relationships.
- Support "novel" marine research that has not previously received funding to create new knowledge or a new product, process or service or to substantially improve existing products, processes or services.
Collaboration with HEIs and other public research bodies is encouraged.
In 2018 the Marine Institute provided funding to 12 projects from a total of 22 applications under the Industry-Led Awards, providing a total grant-aid value of €2.3m. Details of the projects funded are available in the Industry-Led Call Awards 2018 document. A brief overview is also provided below.
This scheme is funded by the Marine Institute under the National Marine Research Programme with the support of the Irish Government. Please contact funding [at] marine [dot] ie for further information on this Programme.