Location: Marine Institute, Rinville, Oranmore, Co. Galway
The Marine Institute is the national agency responsible for marine research, technology, development and innovation (RTDI). The Marine Institute seeks to assess and realise the economic potential of Ireland’s 220 million acre marine resource; promote the sustainable development of marine industry through strategic funding programmes and scientific services; and safeguard the marine environment through research and environmental monitoring. The Institute works in conjunction with the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine (DAFM) and a network of other Government Departments, semi-state agencies, national and international marine partners. This is a specified purpose contract with a duration of up to 3 years.
This temporary specified purpose role will endeavour to deliver outputs on a number of temporary projects that will conclude on or before October 2022, including the provision of career break cover. The Software Technical Lead will support the design and implementation of new software systems and processes, software system security and availability, and will generally support the development of software technical capability and effectiveness across the Institute.
The role will work primarily in the Application Development team, implementing and maintaining central software platforms or services. Part of the role will be to ensure performance, security and availability of these systems.
Among the duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide technical leadership within the Information Services & Development team structure.
- Technically lead the implementation and operations of software platforms to support delivery of Institute scientific services, corporate management and external connectivity with partners.
- Closely partner with teams across the organisation to understand how software technologies support operational processes, and the business benefits they can bring.
- Carry out technical Maintenance and Support of Marine Institute software systems, including in-house and externally developed systems.
- Provide Software Technical Guidelines and Advice for software development, IT availability including security and resilience, and to input to research and development activities.
Please review a detailed job description here
Duration: This is a specified purpose contract for a duration up to 31st October 2022
Educational and Professional Requirements
- A degree or equivalent in computer science, software engineering, or a related software development discipline.
- A broad understanding of software platforms and the technology landscape.
- At least 3-years’ experience working in a structured software development environment developing or maintaining enterprise software systems based on the Microsoft platform.
- Experience with enterprise databases such as MS SQL Server.
- Good organisation skills and initiative including the ability to work unsupervised and to coordinate technical activities.
How to Apply
A C.V. and letter of application, summarising experience and skill set applicable to the position should be emailed to recruitment [at] marine [dot] ie or posted to Human Resources at the Marine Institute, Rinville, Oranmore, Galway. All correspondence for this post should quote reference TLC/OSIS/Nov18
Closing date for Applications:
All applications for this post should be received by the Marine Institute in advance of 12 noon on Friday December 7th 2018. Please note that late applications will not be accepted.