We are the Competent Authority for the implementation in Ireland of Regulation (EU) 2016/429, ‘the Animal Health Law’, as it relates to the health of aquaculture animals and the prevention and control of certain aquatic diseases. We are responsible for:
- Issuing Fish Health Approvals (FHAs) for aquaculture establishments.
- Registration of importers of ornamental fish.
- Registration of specialist transporters of aquaculture animals.
- Assessment and management of imports, exports and internal movements of live aquatic animals.
- Co-ordination of the national fish health surveillance programme.
- Risk-based surveillance of aquaculture establishments through a programme of inspections.
For further details on our work as Competent Authority or to apply for any of the official services outlined above, please visit our dedicated fish health website