The Marine Research Funders’ Forum (MRFF) was established in 2018 as a strategy implementation mechanism under the implementing actions of the National Marine Research & Innovation Strategy 2017-2021 (MRIS). The Forum brings together state funding organisations with the aim of enhancing coordination in marine related research funding, whilst also addressing a number of the implementing actions set out in the Strategy.
The overall objective and terms of reference of the MRFF is to facilitate cooperation and enhanced coordination between the national and regional research funding agencies and key stakeholders to ensure a coherent national approach to marine research. As set out in the MRIS, this includes:
- Exchanging information on research funding calls, opportunities and programmes at national and international level of relevance to the strategic goals of the National Marine Research & Innovation Strategy.
- Quantifying funding and research spending across the 15 Research Themes outlined in the Strategy and identifying appropriate funding instruments and opportunities for joint calls across the Themes.
- Examining requirements for capacity building (e.g. early stage researchers and PhD students) and providing information on relevant policy developments that inform research prioritisation.
- Involvement in other key implementing actions of the Strategy as necessary.
The Forum will operate over the lifetime of the Strategy and meets biannually.
- Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute, Northern Ireland
- Bord Iascaigh Mhara
- Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine
- Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment
- Department of Environment, Climate and Communications
- Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science
- Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage
- Enterprise Ireland
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Fáilte Ireland
- Geological Survey Ireland
- Higher Education Authority
- Inland Fisheries Ireland
- Irish Research Council
- Knowledge Transfer Ireland
- Marine Institute
- Met Éireann
- National Parks and Wildlife Service
- Northern & Western Regional Assembly
- Science Foundation Ireland
- Southern Regional Assembly
- Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
- Údarás na Gaeltachta
In collaboration with the members of the MRFF, another implementing action identified in the MRIS commenced – the collection and analysis of national marine research investment data. This is an ongoing process. The National Marine Research Database is an output of this collaborative process.