Irish National Tide Gauge Network
Click on each value above to view the graph for the last 24 hours.
Please note time is reported in UTC.
Datum information and units: All water levels are reported in metres.
All levels are reported relative to Ordinance Datum Malin Head (except the Kish bank Lighthouse which is relative to a local datum as the OD
Malin Head offset has yet to be determined offshore).
Dublin Port Data subject to Confirmation of Survey
Welcome to the Irish National Tide Gauge Network - this is an on-going development involving the Marine Institute and a number of organisations in the public and private sectors to develop a permanent tidal monitoring infrastructure, ultimately consisting off between 35 and 40 stations. The project is currently entering year 5 of an anticipated 10 year program.
The principle objectives are two fold:
- to involve local organisations (e.g. county councils) to assist them with local issues related to water level monitoring.
- to bring all operational tide gauges into a centrally managed national infrastructure.
Current activities include:
- Strategic development of the network to work with new parties enabling the full resolution of the tidal regime around Ireland.
- Roll out of GSM enabled data logging and telecommunications equipment for the central collection of data.
- High precision site surveys to enable all data to be reported relative to the national datum (ordnance survey datum Malin Head).
- Quality control of the stations to determine what outstanding work is required to get the best possible data.
The products from the network are wide-ranging and will be available as work progresses:
- Real-time data to an Internet site to support recreational users, navigation and commercial activities.
- Tidal predictions, both in the form of software tools and paper publications.
- Flood warning.
- Long term sea level variability.
institute [dot] mail [at] marine [dot] ie (Subject: Irish%20Tides%20website%20query) (Contact Us for more information)
This infrastructure has been part funded under the Marine RTDI Measure of the National Development Plan 2000-2006, co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
Visit the below pages for more information on tidal observations: