Irish National Tide Gauge Network
Datum information and units: All water levels are reported in metres.
All levels are reported relative to Ordinance Datum Malin Head.
Most marine gauges are also reported to a "modified" LAT. Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT) is defined as the lowest level that can occur due to the astronomical tide.
The "modified" LAT used here is defined as the minimum of (a) the lowest astronomical tide calculated using harmonic analysis and (b) the lowest value recorded at the gauge since it came into operation.
Dublin Port Data subject to Confirmation of Survey.
Welcome to the Irish National Tide Gauge Network - this is an on-going development involving the Marine Institute and a number of organisations in the public and private sectors to develop a permanent tidal monitoring infrastructure, ultimately consisting off between 35 and 40 stations. The project is currently entering year 5 of an anticipated 10 year program.
The principle objectives are two fold:
- to involve local organisations (e.g. county councils) to assist them with local issues related to water level monitoring.
- to bring all operational tide gauges into a centrally managed national infrastructure.
Current activities include:
- Strategic development of the network to work with new parties enabling the full resolution of the tidal regime around Ireland.
- Roll out of GSM enabled data logging and telecommunications equipment for the central collection of data.
- High precision site surveys to enable all data to be reported relative to the national datum (ordnance survey datum Malin Head).
- Quality control of the stations to determine what outstanding work is required to get the best possible data.
The products from the network are wide-ranging and will be available as work progresses:
- Real-time data to an Internet site to support recreational users, navigation and commercial activities.
- Tidal predictions, both in the form of software tools and paper publications.
- Flood warning.
- Long term sea level variability.
institute [dot] mail [at] marine [dot] ie (Subject: Irish%20Tides%20website%20query) (Contact Us for more information)
This infrastructure has been part funded under the Marine RTDI Measure of the National Development Plan 2000-2006, co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
Visit the below pages for more information on tidal observations: