The Marine Institute is the national agency responsible for marine research, technology, development and innovation (RTDI). The Marine Institute seeks to assess and realise the economic potential of Ireland’s 220-million-acre marine resource; promote the sustainable development of marine industry through strategic funding programmes and scientific services; and safeguard the marine environment through research and environmental monitoring. The Institute works in conjunction with the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine (DAFM) and a network of other Government Departments, semi-state agencies, national and international marine partners.
Summary of the Role:
The Fisheries Assessment Analyst (LA) will work closely with the Analyst team and the Industry Liaison Team Leader on data delivery to our main client DAFM (Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine) and ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the Seas) in relation to provision of data for fish stock assessments and advice. The job will focus on fisheries data collection at sea on board commercial and research vessels, on land in co – ops and processors and will also include the collation, data entry and validation of this data.
Please read a detailed job description here (right click to open in new window)
Educational and Professional Requirements:
• A minimum of a certificate in a relevant biological science.
• Demonstrated ability to work at sea for extended periods of time on various types of vessels.
• Familiarity with the Irish Fishing industry.
• Experience in the practical aspects of biological sampling of fish and shellfish.
• The ability to meet the requirements of a sea going medical (ENGII) and mandatory sea going training.
• A high level of computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Teams, Internet/Email).
• Experience with data entry and quality control of scientific data.
• The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally at all levels.
• A full clean driving license and own transport.
How to Apply:
A C.V. and letter of application, summarising experience and skill set applicable to the position should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Human Resources at the Marine Institute, Rinville, Oranmore, Galway. All correspondence for this post should quote reference: FEAS/LA/CID/Feb23
Closing date for Applications:
All applications for this post should be received by the Marine Institute in advance of 12 noon on Monday 13th of February 2023. Please note that late applications will not be accepted.
Use of data- all personal data and the information submitted for this application will be used solely for the purpose of this campaign, after which it will be deleted in line with our data and documents policy. All information will be treated with the strictest confidence and accessed only by those involved directly in the campaign.
Marine Institute is an equal opportunities employer