The Explorers Education Programme offers a series of face-to-face and blended learning teachers training courses approved by the Department of Education & Skills for primary school teachers.
Primary School teachers enjoy the Explorers Seashore Safari face-to-face teachers training in Kerry. Photo: Cushla Dromgool-Regan.
EXPLORERS WILD ABOUT WILDLIFE ON THE SEASHORE DES SUMMER TEACHER TRAINING COURSE 2021: Exploring Ireland’s Seashore through Science, Maths, Geography, English and Art, the Explorers Education Programme
The Explorers Seashore course, is run through the Education Centres around the country (listed below). It will take place online using ZOOM between the 1st and 7th of July.
- The course will focus on using the marine environment in a cross-curricular way to support teaching and learning in the primary school classroom.
- It will explore methods and techniques for working scientifically in the classroom and during fieldwork on the shore.
- Teachers will examine a range of practical inquiry based exercises.
- The course will integrate literacy and numeracy into a number of lessons which focus on Ireland’s ocean and sustainability.
- We will also reflect on environmental awareness and care of our ocean and discuss topics and techniques for covering climate change, marine litter and other current environmental topics with our students.
Teachers will take part in a range of face to face classes, short challenges and daily tasks. We also look forward to introducing teachers to how to bring Ireland’s seashore into the classroom using short videos and resources from the Explorers Wild about Wildlife Series which can be previewed at www.explorers.ie .
Please note teachers will need WIFI to participate in this course and work samples and feedback may be recorded for quality and engagement assurances.
Participations will receive an explorer’s pack by post, including resources materials and content to be used throughout the week, which can also be used back in the classroom.
For more information email: Noirin [at] nationalaquarium [dot] ie
To book your place visit: