The Marine Institute is the national agency responsible for marine research, technology, development and innovation (RTDI). The Marine Institute seeks to assess and realise the economic potential of Ireland’s 220-million-acre marine resource; promote the sustainable development of marine industry through strategic funding programmes and scientific services; and safeguard the marine environment through research and environmental monitoring. The Institute works in conjunction with the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine (DAFM) and a network of other Government Departments, semi-state agencies, national and international marine partners.
Summary of the Role:
The Temporary Communications Generalist will work within the Marine Institute’s Communications Office. The successful candidate will provide support and assistance to the Team in the design and implementation of a programme of communications that supports delivery of the Marine Institute’s Strategic Plan.
Areas of output include: media relations; online communications; social media; photography and film; branding, design and print; advertising; public relations; outreach and events; library services; as well as supporting ocean literacy and education initiatives.
We require a highly-organised lover of detail who has the ability to confidently communicate with staff at all levels of the organisation and ensure that projects being led or supported by the Communications team run smoothly and efficiently. A strong sense of ownership over tasks, including staying on top of progress, addressing potential issues, and regularly communicating with stakeholders is expected
Please read a detailed job description here (right click to open JD in new window)
Educational and Professional Requirements:
Essential / Important:
• Relevant qualification in a communications related subject.
• At least one year of relevant work experience.
• Demonstrated strong project support, administration and event planning skills.
• Demonstrated experience in working on marketing and communications campaigns for large-scale events.
• Demonstrated exceptional writing, editing and presentation skills with the ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally at all levels, as well as assisting with the preparation of technical reports.
• Experience of updating websites and social media in a business context.
• Demonstrated a high level of experience in the use of IT skills to include Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and ability to harness new and existing IT platforms with ease.
• Demonstrated experience using a range of web and design tools including Photoshop, WordPress, Drupal, and digital tools such as Mail Chimp, Event Brite, Survey Monkey and Media and media monitoring platforms.
• Demonstrated experience in creating relevant social media content and analysing social media platforms including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and in using digital tools such as Tweet Deck, Google Analytics.
• Demonstrates a strong focus on the target audience and the ability to write and independently take photographs and create content across all communication channels
Duration of Contract:
This temporary specified purpose contract of employment, providing maternity leave cover for up to 6 months. You will be on probation for the duration of this contract.
How to Apply:
A C.V. and letter of application, summarising experience and skill set applicable to the position should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Human Resources at the Marine Institute, Rinville, Oranmore, Galway. All correspondence for this post should quote reference CS/CO/Comms/Mar23
Closing date for Applications:
All applications for this post should be received by the Marine Institute in advance of 12 noon on the 10th of April 2023. Please note that late applications will not be accepted.
Use of data- all personal data and the information submitted for this application will be used solely for the purpose of this campaign, after which it will be deleted in line with our data and documents policy. All information will be treated with the strictest confidence and accessed only by those involved directly in the campaign.
Marine Institute is an equal opportunities employer