The Explorers Education Programme is pleased to announce applications are open for primary schools, who wish to take part in marine related activities and workshops for the 2014/2015 school year, where applications must be submitted to the local education centre in Counties Galway, Clare, Mayo, and Sligo.
“With over fifty primary school groups participating in the revised programme last year in Galway, we are delighted to announce the revised modules are now also being offered in Counties Clare and Mayo. With support from Sligo Education Centre, we are also extending a pilot programme of Explorer Workshops to be held at the Centre,” said Dr. Noirin Burke, Explorers Education Officer.
The new module system allows for more students and teachers to get involved in marine projects, seashores safaris, having aquariums in the class, or taking part in a number of exciting marine workshops involving maths, engineering and science.
Teachers can send their applications to their local educations centres in Counties Galway, Clare, Mayo and Sligo highlighting how the Explorers Education programme will be beneficial to their class, school and community. For more information about the modules and workshops, please see the Explorers Marine Education Programme Application Form.
The modules include:
• Explorers Aquarium in the Classroom: This involves students running a saltwater aquarium of native species for up to four weeks in their classroom.
• Explorers Marine Project: Students will learn about materials and energy and forces, using the theme of the Marine and our Ocean.
• Explorers Seashore Safari: Accompanied by the Explorers Education Officer, the students will visit their local shoreline to examine the plant and animal life present and their adaptations to life.
• Explorer Workshops at Galway Atlantaquaria: Workshops will be carried out at Galway Atlantaquaria between October 2014 and February 2015, which include Maths, Engineering and Science.
The following module for primary schools in County Sligo includes:
• Explorer Workshops at Sligo Education Centre: Explorer Workshops will be carried out at Sligo Education Centre by the Explorers Education Officer introducing students to the marine through experiments and hands on activities.
If you have any queries relating to the Explorers Education Programme, please do not hesitate contacting Noirin Burke the Explorers Education Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Explorers programme continues to run in Dublin and Cork in association with Blackrock Education Centre, Sea Life Centre Bray and the Lifetime Lab, Cork. More information about their workshops will be issued later in the year.
Explorer teaching materials are available to download free of charge at www.explorers.ie